The United Way of Southern West Virginia Quick Guides to Community Services
For students living in the Fayette County area, please click here!
For students living in the Nicholas County area, please click here!
For students living in the Raleigh County area, please click here!
The Raleigh County Community Council, Inc.
The Raleigh County Community Council, Inc., is located at 129 Main Street in Beckley, WV. Their mission is to support families and communities to attain their highest possible quality of life. They provide a program called The Raleigh County Family Resource Network which is made up of community members, service providers, and families who work together to promote outcomes such as safe communities, stable homes, strong, families, healthy people, children ready for school, and skilled workforce. Phone: (304) 255-3764. Email: email@example.com.
The following is a list of some (not all) of the resources provided through The Family Resource Network:
- Beckley Raleigh County Health Department WIC Program, 1600 Harper Road, Beckley, WV, 25801. Services: Nutrition counseling and education, breastfeeding promotion and support, health screening, medical and social services referrals, and monthly food packages. Eligibility: Based upon income guidelines table. Phone: (304) 255-9034.
- Beckley Health Right, 111 Randolph Street, Beckley, WV, 25801. Phone: (304) 253-3577. Services: Free health care and prescriptions as long as patient is under care of a Beckley Health Rite doctor. Eligibility: No income or must meet income guidelines. Serving Raleigh county.
- Beckley Lions Club, P.O. Box 1301, Beckley, WV, 25801. Phone: (304) 252-2154. Services: Provide vision care for the needy. Serving Raleigh County. Call for specific services provided and eligibility requirements. Mount Hope Lions Club provides services to Fayette County. Call (304) 877-9800 for more information.
FMRS Health Systems, Inc., 101 South Eisenhower Drive, Beckley, WV, 25801. Phone: (304) 256-7100. Provides Group Therapy: Parenting, chronic pain, anxiety and depression, substance abuse for men and women. Eligibility: Call for more information (FMRS client who meets criteria for specific group). Serving Raleigh county.
- Mountain Heart Child Care Resources & Referral, 228 Ragland Road, Beckley, WV, 25802. Phone: (304) 253-7654 or 1-888-799-9217. Services: Assistance with payment for daycare services. Eligibility: Must meet guidelines. Serving Raleigh and Fayette counties. NOTE: Mountain Heart Child Care Resources & Referral is also available in other surrounding counties as follows:
- Call 1-855-843-0720 or (304) 647-3800 for Greenbrier, Pocahontas, Summers, and Monroe counties.
- Call 1-800-738-8531 or (304) 425-3669 for Mercer county.
- Call 1-866-598-4452 or (304) 872-9200 for Nicholas, Braxton, and Webster counties.
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service, 111 Lebanon Street, Beckley, WV, 25802. Phone: (304) 255-2499. Services: Budgeting (individual and family), debt management housing counseling. There are no fees for services because they are FREE. Eligibility: No age or income requirements. Serving Southern West Virginia.
- Helping Hands Community Resource Center, 113 First Avenue, P.O. Box 5005, Beckley, WV, 25801. Services: Emergency basic food and clothing. Referral to other agencies. Assistance with prescription cost, gasoline for children doctor's visits, and some household / personal items. Eligibility: Anyone in need that applies. Some services require a DHHR referral form. Serving Raleigh County. Phone: (304) 253-3467.
- Homeless Prevention and Rapid-Rehousing Program, c/o Raleigh County Community Action Association. Phone: (304) 252-6396. Serving Southern West Virginia. Services: If you are a serious risk of losing your rental housing, RCCAA can provide you with assistance to remain your home. RCCAA also provides homeess individuals and families with assistance to gain rental housing. Rental Assistance - utility assistance, security and utility deposits, moving assistance, home finding and case management.
- Raleigh County Commission on Aging, Inc., 1614 S. Kanawha Street, Beckley, WV 25801. Eligibility: 60 years or older, or 55 years old with a physical disability. Donations can be made based on income if possible. Serving Raleigh & Fayette Counties (personal care and medicare waiver). Services: Monday - Friday: 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. Home delivered meals, personal care services, Medicaid waiver service, Shine Liaison congregate meals, and tranportation. Adult Day Care, Exercise Facility and Medical Transportation Case Management in eight (8) counties, respite services. Phone: (304) 255-1397. Fax: (304) 252-9360.
- The Beckley Dream Center Fishes & Loaves, c/o Church of God Family Worship Center, 224 Pinewood Drive, Beckley, WV, 25801. Phone: (304) 252-3402. Services: Food distribution on the 3rd and 4th Saturday of each month with a hot meal provided. Emergency Calls: Hours 9:30 am - 12 noon. Food boxes, clothing, utility assistance, computer classes and GED classes. Eligibility: Must be in extreme need. Serving Raleigh County.
Seneca Health Services, 11305 Webster Road, Summersville, WV 26651. Phone: (304) 872-6503. Services: Mental Health Treatment, Adult Outpatient Services, Child and Adolescent Outpatient Services, Adolescent Substance Abuse, Adult Substance Abuse, and Developmental Disabilities Treatment. Serving the following locations:
- Greenbrier County:(304) 497-0500
- Nicholas County:(304) 872-2659
- Pocahontas County:(304) 799-6865
- Webster County:(304) 847-5425
Southern WV Fellowship Home, 201 Woodlawn Avenue, Beckley, WV, 25802. Phone: (304) 253-1441. Provides 3 month to 1 year transitional residential facility. Treats 18 years or older. Fee based on income. Must be a WV resident.
Storm Haven Transitional Home, P.O. Box 130, Raleigh, WV, 25911. Provides shelter – inpatient care. Twelve (12) step program – relapse prevention study. Treats males or females 18 years and older.
- The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 1573, Beckley, WV, 25801. Services provided: Food, utilities, rent, clothing, bus tickets, Christmas, toys/food, emergency assistance as needed. Youth Summer Camp. Eligibility: Referral from DHHR. Serving Raleigh, Fayette, Wyoming, and Nicholas Counties. Phone: (304) 253-9541. Fax: (304) 253-4826.
- Shepards Staff, c/o Bolt Church of God, Bolt, WV, 25817. Services provided: At a cost of $22.00 every three (3) months for a food box each month. Food must be picked up. Serving Raleigh County. Phone: (304) 934-6772. Shepards Staff also provides clothes, shoes, coats, and blankets. Items are free, but an application must be filled out and screened.
- Calvary Assembly of God, 319 Sunset Drive, Beckley, WV, 25801. Services provided: Food pantry. Help with utility termination as funds are available. Eligibility: Need referral form from DHHR. Serving Raleigh County. Phone: (304) 252-0217. Fax: (304) 252-3818.
- WV Division of Unemployment Compensation, Workforce WV, 200 Value City Center, Beckley, WV, 25801. Phone: (304) 256-6796. Services: Unemployment benefits. Eligibility: Must meet federal and state laws. Serving: Raleigh, Fayette, Wyoming, and Summers Counties.
- Food for Body and Soul, c/o Heart of God Ministries, 1710 S. Kanawha Street, Beckley, WV, 25801. Services: Food distribution every 3rd Saturday. Eligibility: An application must be filled out. Serving Raleigh County. Phone: (304) 929-3470. Fax: (304) 253-3994.
- Job Service, Workforce WV, 300 New River Drive (Value City Shopping Center) Beckley, WV, 25801. Phone: (304) 256-6796. Services: Job referral service, aptitude testing, career counseling, and employment counseling. Eligibility: Anyone looking for a job statewide.
- West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources, 407 Neville Street, Beckley, WV, 25801. Phone: (304) 256-6930. Eligibility is based on federal and state income guidelines. Serving Raleigh County. Services: Food Stamp Program, Medicaid, SSI, TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families), Emergency Assistance (payment for rent, utilities, transportation, household furnishing, food, clothing, shelter, etc.); LIEAP, Child Support Enforcement; TRIP (Transportation for Elderly and Disabled); NEMT; Foster Care; Adoption; Protective Services for children and adults; family planning; nusring home services; WV Works which provide employment service (job training, education, and job placement) and JTPA.
- West Virginia Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS), 800 New River Town Center, Beckley, WV, 25801. Phone: (304) 256-6900. Serving Fayette, Greenbrier, Mercer, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers, and Webster counties. Download the flyer for offices closet to you by clicking here. DRS helps people with disabilities establish and reach their vocational goals. The primary goal for all DRS clients is to become productive working citizens. Eligibility is based on three factors: 1) you have a physical or mental condition that interferes with your ability to get or keep a job; 2) you can benefit from services in terms of an employment outcome; and, 3) you need vocational rehabilitation services to get or keep a job.
After you have been determined eligible for services, the next step will be to develop an Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) with your counselor. The IPE is an agreement between you and DRS that describes the services that will be provided for you to meet your employment goal.
Evaluation, counseling, job development and placement services are provided at no cost to you. You may be required to share the cost of some services, but your rehabilitation counselor will talk to you about any costs before services start.Services include:
- Work-related counseling and guidance.
- Evaluation services may include vocational, medical, psychological or educational evaluations.
- Information and referral services.
- Accessibility and worksite evaluations and accommodations.
- Assistive technology
- Restoration services may include treatment or psychological conditions; orthotic and prosthetic devices; or physical, occupational, speech, or hearing therapy.