Partnering institutions provide full service to all students who are interested in attending classes at the Erma Byrd Higher Education Center.  Please click on the link of the institution at which you are interested in enrolling or attending for financial aid information:


Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is usually required.  To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need:

  • Your Social Security Number.
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen).
  • Your most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned.  You may be able to transfer your federal tax return into the FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable).
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable).
  • A Federal Student Aid ID to sign electronically.  Click here to learn how to create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID.

If you are a dependent student, then you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).  Check to see if you are a "dependent" student by clicking here.  Additional information on filling out the FAFSA form can be found by clicking here.





The College Foundation of West Virginia provides answers to frequently asked questions in Financial Aid 101.

The Federal Student Aid (an Office of the United States Department of Education) provides FAFSA HELP with a list of Frequently Asked Questions.

Additional Frequently Asked Questions regarding Financial Aid and filing your FAFSA:

  • Do I have to apply for Financial Aid every year? 
    • To be considered for federal, state and institutional financial aid programs, you must apply/re-apply each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


  • How do students apply for federal assistance?
    • Students complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal and most state of West Virginia programs such as the WV Higher Education Grant. The FAFSA information allows the school to determine a student's potential eligibility for certain federal aid programs and helps to maximize the overall types and amounts of aid that can then be offered to each applicant.


  • My tax return will not be completed by the time I need to complete the FAFSA.  Should I wait to complete the FAFSA or estimate my income? 
    • You should estimate your income, if necessary, in order to complete your financial aid application by the priority deadline.


  • I probably don't qualify for aid.  Should I apply for aid anyway? 
    • Yes.  Many families mistakenly think they do not qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it.  The FAFSA form is free.  There is no good excuse for not applying.


  • Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid a particular college or university? 
    • No.  You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1st.  To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled in a college or university.


  • Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year? 
    • Yes.  Most financial aid offices require that you apply for financial aid every year.  If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less aid.  After your first year you will receive a "Renewal Application" which contains preprinted information from the previous year's FAFSA.  Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college.  Renewal of your financial aid package depends on your making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA.


  • How do I apply for a Pell Grant and other types of need-based aid? 
    • Submit a FAFSA.  To indicate interest in student employment, student loans and parent loans, you should check the appropriate boxes.  Checking these boxes does not commit you to accepting these types of aid.  You will have the opportunity to accept or decline each part of your aid package later.  Leaving these boxes unchecked will not increase the amount of grants you receive.


  • I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office? 
    • Yes.  If you are receiving any kind of financial aid from college, university, or government sources, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office.



The College Foundation of West Virginia Financial Aid & Planning Tool lists the following sources of financial aid information - local, state, and national - when you're building your financial plan:


Other Resources: